Wednesday 23 June 2010

You are so funny, you kill my head!

Disney Classic #6 and #7 - Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros


This was the first (and probably only) time we watched two movies in one night. The logical reason for this was that combined the two films only equal 110 minutes play time, about the length of a standard modern movie. Plus, Three Caballeros is the sequel to Saludos Amigos, so it made sense. Especially as we skipped last week due to birthdays of two of my very close friends!

I'd never actually seen these films, so it was kind of difficult to pick a cake - however after reading a bit of Disney Wiki I found out that these films are both set in South America, so I did a google search on "South American cake" and it bought up about a million recipes for Tres Leches Cake. Whether or not this is a traditional South American pudding, I don't know. But google seems to think so, and I thought it looked/sounded delicious, so that's what I made.
 
 

I based my recipe on one I found here. I always get mixed up with American measurements (how much is a cup of sugar? Like an actual cup? And what size cup? I have lots of different sized cups!!) so I sort of made up my own... but it worked and was very very tasty.

Prep time: 20 mins (plus overnight to chill)     Cook time: 25mins     Serves: 12

Ingredients:

200g margarine
200g caster sugar
100g soft cheese (philadelphia)
200g self raising flour
2 medium eggs
200ml sweetened condensed milk
85ml evaporated milk
150ml double cream

For the topping:
3 egg whites
200g caster sugar
100ml water
1 tsp honey
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla essence
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg


  1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. Grease and line a baking tin.

  2. Beat together the sugar and the butter until creamy. Add the soft cheese and mix until combined.

  3. Sift the flour into the bowl and fold into the mixture. Add the eggs and beat well until all ingredients are combined.

  4. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and bake for around 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the baking tin whilst you prepare the "three milk" syrup.

  5. In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, the evaporated milk and the double cream.

  6. Using a fork, poke lots of holes into the cooled cake, and then slowly pour the milk syrup over the entire cake. Put the cake in the fridge and leave to soak overnight.

  7. The next day... prepare the meringue frosting. Place the egg white in a large bowl and whisk until fluffy and starting to peak. (with an electric whisk, this takes around 3/4 minutes, with a hand whisk, considerably longer.)

  8. Place the sugar, water, honey and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occaisionally. Heat the sugar syrup to 117 degrees celsius, (242 degress farenheit).

  9. Slowly and carefully pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl, whilst slowly beating the egg white mixture. Once all of the sugar syrup in in the bowl add the vanilla essence. Increase the speed of the whisk and continue to beat for around 5 minutes, until the meringue has cooled.

  10. Spread the meringue over the cake, and sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon. Keep refridgerated and serve straight from the pan!!






Next time - we'll be watching Make Mine Music, and I'll be making Whoopie Pies!

Happy thoughts!

x
     


    2 comments:

    1. Stay, I think you have made a mistake with this recipe.




      Its says "Feeds 12", but I clearly recall it feeding no more than 5 + me, so I dont think that can be accurate.

      ;)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Of course what I meant was that this recipe creates 12 slices of cake... the fact that we polished it off between the 5 of us is neither here nor there! ^_^

      ReplyDelete