Wednesday 26 May 2010

Pink Elephants on Parade

Disney Classic # 4 – Dumbo



I had a few different ideas for Dumbo; I was going to try to bake Casey Jr., I was going to make a circus tent, then I thought about making clown and circus animal cupcakes instead, I thought I could make some cute “stork delivering baby” cookies – basically my head was a jumble with the possibilities. There is just so much to love in Dumbo! I was discussing the dilemma of having too many ideas with my friend Helen, when she suggested that I do something based on the Pink Elephant sequence. YES!! Immediately I knew that I wanted to make some pink marshmallow krispie squares – in the shape of elephants!

When it came down to it, I ended up with 6 elephants and lots of spare marshmallow krispie cake which wasn’t the right shape or size to make more elephants, so I cut this into squares and iced some bubbles onto them. ^_^
Here is the fellow I used for my template:


I based these on a mallow krispie recipe found here. Granted, marshmallow krispies may not be as technically difficult to make as some of the other cakes – but I had so much fun making and decorating these cakes I would definitely recommend giving it a try. (Although do not underestimate the time/effort it took to ice these bad boys!)

Prep time: Around 1 hour Cook time: no cook

Serves: 6 elephants and 15 bubble bites
Ingredients:
175g unsalted butter
360g pink and white marshmallows
450g rice krispies
175g icing sugar
1 tsp milk
drop vanilla essence
Pink food colouring
100g white chocolate
Pink icing tube
Black icing tube

1.Line a rectangular baking dish/roasting pan with greaseproof paper.
2.Make a template by drawing/tracing the outline of the image you are using onto some greaseproof paper and cutting this out.
3.Using a very large saucepan on a very low heat, melt 100g of the butter.
4.Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir continuously until all melted
5.Add the rice krispies to the melted marshmallow and butter mixture and mix well until all of the rice krispies are covered. TIP: keep the pan on the heat whilst mixing to keep the marshmallow workable – once it cools it becomes really difficult to mix!
6.Press the mixture evenly into the dish/tray you are using and pop in the fridge to cool whilst you make your buttercream
7.To make the buttercream; place the remaining butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla essence into a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add pink food colouring to reach the desired shade.
8.Remove the krispie cake from the fridge and turn out onto a chopping board. Using your template, cut the cake into the required shapes. Cut any leftover cake into small squares and put to one side for later.
9.Melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over some boiling water. Cover half of the elephants with the white chocolate, and pop in the fridge to set.
10.Cover the remaining elephants with the pink buttercream, making sure to smooth over the surface.
11.Using the original image as a guide – ice the outline and details onto the elephants using the black icing on the pink elephants, and the pink icing on the white elephants
12.Go back to the small squares that were put to one side, ice a bubble design onto these using either or both of the icing tubes.
13.Eat and enjoy (perhaps with a glass of bubbly :-P)



Next time: Bambi - and I’ll be making a lavender loaf cake. (Yes it IS related to the movie… I’ll explain all next week ^_^)

Happy thoughts
x

No comments:

Post a Comment